Sunday, March 23, 2014

An airline pilot's search for great espresso on the road...

I'm an airline pilot who has a serious taste for top-notch espresso.  I have invested a good deal of time learning about how to make good espresso and a good deal of money in equipment that allows me to make good espresso, and because of that, my own espresso tends to be my favorite.  I say, "tends" because there are a relative handful of places that make espresso with the same care I do, and that tastes at least as good.  I suspect most serious espresso hobbyists are in the same boat, and when they travel, inevitably sporting a serious jones for some good espresso, it can be quite a challenge to find a place good enough to satisfy that desire.  My job being what it is, I face that challenge more or less weekly.

So going forward from now, I will provide data and thoughts from the results of my exploration, more or less as I encounter them.  These will _most likely_ be limited to places that are walking distance from my layover hotel.  Occasionally, I accompany my wife in her business travels and we have a car.  I will review those places too.

I am on the fence as to how much of a critic I will be.  Should I review places that I did not like as well as the ones I do like?  Should I only present facts, with as little critical analysis as possible?  I don't know the answers to either yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment